PSN subject matter experts (SMEs) will conduct a site visit to meet with personnel from appropriate agencies to assess and review existing policies, procedures, and practices. During the assessment, SMEs will:
- Make general observations about the overall detective function and processes, including reviewing and evaluating the effectiveness of the current detective function, operations, case management approach, and leadership structure.
- Collect relevant data and information on the above processes through interviews and obtaining department policies or procedures.
- Identify weaknesses in the criminal case management process.
- Develop recommendations and feedback related to criminal case management processes and procedures.
The SMEs will produce a formal assessment report, which will be released only to the site and PSN team, detailing their observations and recommendations.
Goal: Review and assess criminal case management and detective functions of local law enforcement.
Intended Audience (local personnel to participate in the assessment)
- Chief of police and designated command staff
- Detective supervisors
- Detectives and investigators
- Case management personnel
Length (estimated time to completion)
- Two- to four-day site visit.
- The SMEs will deliver an assessment report approximately one month after the site visit.
- Meetings with the above local personnel
- Tour of police department facilities
- Review of an active investigation case file
- Case briefing meeting and observation of internal briefings
- Review of crime data, policies, procedures, and other documents related to the management and operations of detective functions
SMEs: An expert will be identified based on need or as suggested/recommended by the requester.
Click here for a PDF flyer on the detective function assessment.